Monday, 21 March 2011

Hards as Nails


I am a nurse and as such I spend a lot of time washing my hands and I have to keep my fingernails short. I also have an unfortunate habit of picking at my nails when they have split. My nails had become quite weak and bendy and I had to cut them very short.
This was about 4 months ago and I decided that I would have to take special care with my nails and get them long and strong again. 
I use many products to get my nails strong. I started using the revitanail nail strengthener, which has ingredients to make nails strong and prevent splitting and peeling. I used this following the directions but I found that they didn’t dry properly after the first couple of coats and I always manage to get creases in my nails.  I recently started using the Sally Hansen advanced hard as nails, which I prefer because it does dry properly and I don’t mess up my nails when I’m sleeping. It says that it as nylon, which helps strengthen nails and prevent them from peeling. It also has other ingredients to help hydrate and nourish the nails. The thing that concerns me about these strengthening nail polishes is they both contain formalin.  
Both of these work, and my nails are very strong and have even stopped splitting.  
I sometimes soak my nails in warm water for a little bit and then push the cuticles back.
I also rub cuticle cream into my cuticle nails often. This encourages circulation which promotes nails to grow. lemony flutter from LUSH, Burts Bees lemon butter cuticle cream and Revitanail cuticle oil. I rub it in each cuticle for atleast 1 minute (per nail) every night, just when I'm watching tv, youtube etc. It makes my cuticles nice and soft.
I also use a buffer on them occasionally to make them smooth and shiny. When I file my nails I make sure that I file them in the same direction as a ‘sawing’ motion will cause the nails to become weak. I love this nail file, it has pink glitter on one side and then the actual file on the other side. Couldn't help myself, anything that is pink and glitters:)
I put handcream on my hands often as I have very dry hands due to my occupation. If your going to have nice nails you might as well have nice soft hands to match.
I think one of the main tips to grow strong nails is to stop bad habits. I know a lot of people have problems with biting their nails or picking at their nails and cuticles, whatever works for you to prevent your bad habits. I just try and ignore my nails when i want to pick at them or I buffer or cut the split out of my nails.
I brought this the other day, I thought it was supercute! $5.00 from cotton on body. 
TaDaa! my strong nails! its a bit blurry, its really hard to keep both hands still while taking photos.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for commenting and following my blog! I'm no nurse (I'm a college student, but my mom's a nurse!), but I can't stand the feeling of long nails for some reason so I always keep mine short and square anyway. I also wash my hands a bunch (probably result of being raised by a nurse) so my hands can get dry too. I tried the Burts Bees cuticle cream before, but it unfortunately didn't seem to do much for my nails. :( I read that you can use extra virgin olive oil (haven't tried it though) or (when I actually remember) I'll use Smith’s Rosebud Salve (I actually use this stuff for a lot of things). For hand lotion, I highly recommend Burt's Bees Naturally Nourishing Milk & Honey lotion (reviewed on my bloghere). I used to have a bad habit of picking at my nails, but recently I've found that since I've keeping them painted with pretty polishes more often, I haven't wanted to mess with them! Anyway, sorry for the super long comment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the Burt's Bees cuticle cream but never quite know how to use it. I find it a bit sticky. Maybe I need to rub it in for a minute per nail as you mentioned. Great reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. woohoo comments! so exciting. highlight of my day:) the cuticle butters are pretty greasy so i usually just put them on before i'm about to go to bed so they can soak in overnight. or i rub on some hand lotion and put on my cotton gloves and walk around like a crazy person. my housemate jokes that i'm out to kill her, and the gloves are so i don't leave any fingerprints:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOo good post. I may have to check out that Sally Hansen product! Thanks hun xxx

    ReplyDelete